Empowering Girls to Fly High

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Walking amongst giants




This year was without a doubt the best year of my life to date. I may not be able to bottle up all that I have experienced, all that I have learned, all that was accomplished but I want to share with you in the next few blog posts a few key events that are relevant to this wonderful community. I start today with a moment I will cherish for the rest of my life. 
I am not one that is easily impressed, as you can probably imagine I would not have started this community if I did not have an irreverent side to me that likes to challenge the status quo and cringes at individuals, communities or corporations fueled by ego and self-serving interests. This year I had the privilege and absolute pleasure to meet a few individuals that touched me deeply, left me humbled for the amazing opportunity I had to connect with them and inspired me to do more, so much MORE.
I spend a lot of my time supporting the women around me to acknowledge and speak about their capabilities and their achievements and I am in truly in awe of those that showcase these strengths, but I have to recognize that the leaders I connect with, that inspire me the most, that align better with who I am as an individual are the humble, servant leaders that spend little time focusing on their own image and interests instead focusing on the interests of their cause and community.  
Amy Goodman is one of the hosts of Democracy Now a fully independent news organisation run by small individual donations that is literally taking the media back and providing a space for common people to have a voice. A media outlet not run by corporations or fueled by the interests of the finance, insurance, drug or war industries.
In June this year I had the privileged of spending some time with Amy Goodman. Although I was totally star struck and humbled by this opportunity I was able to shake it off and ask her a few questions and later listen to her wonderful speech that left me teary eyed, emotional and so so impressed with her lifetime achievements.
It would have been easy to for me to miss the giant and super shero sitting beside me in a wonderful summer evening near Chicago, a soft-spoken unassuming woman with a tiny frame, silver hair and a very kind welcoming open smile. It would have been easy to miss that this lady of strength and courage reports from the middle of war zones, was beaten up by the Indonesian army when trying to avoid the massacre of the East Timorese people and is one of the most knowledgeable human beings one can ever meet.
Amy is a wonderful storyteller, she does not speak, she sings, she paints a multidimensional picture, she takes you to a moment in history and analyzes the scene from a point of view of true humanity, raising the universal standard of justice around the world.
It would take me days to relate to you all that I have learned from this short but decisive interaction so I will touch on two key points; one is a lesson, the second a validation of my own belief system.
1) The importance of a truly independent media, of a truly independent point of view, free from corporate interests, free from advertisers, from corporate sponsorship, from corporate ownership.
Open and honest spaces that allow people to discuss the current issues of the day, that provide information about all points of view, not just the point of view of the privileged, of the powerful. A media that is not afraid of asking difficult questions, that is not under the shadow of the handful of big corporations that control 90% of all media.
2) That we are all interconnected at a spiritual level, that everytime we hurt one another we are hurting ourselves. I will not share the details of this conversation because we were talking about another great giant and shehero. This was not a conversation about religion; it was a conversation about a shared deep understanding that body-mind-community-planet-universe are intrinsically connected.
Amy Goodman allowed me to experience the kind of woman I would like to become, and the fun exciting part about it, is that I have a long long way to go and have a lifetime to attempt to achieve it. Because it is really not about the destination, what I really enjoy is the journey, with all the ups and downs, with all the struggles that allow me to appreciate the special moments like that weekend near Chicago where I was literally walking amongst giants. 



Thank you Amy,
InĂªs

2 comments:

  1. Goosebumps! Thank you for sharing this powerful experience and your experience with such a wonderful woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to all the blog posts that follow this one and hearing about your amazing year. People are brought into our life to make us grow and learn things about ourselves. It is fantastic that you have recognised what your role is and have grasped it with both hands.

    ReplyDelete